How to create an Instructor-Led Training (ILT) unit
Instructor-led training (ILT) is a conventional training method in which an instructor leads the class in a classroom-like environment. ILT sessions can be held in a physical location (eg, a boardroom, an office, an auditorium, etc.) or virtual (eg, as a webinar conducted via video conferencing).
The Virtual Learning Environment allows you to add training units to your courses (classroom and webinars) to enhance users' learning experience.
To add an ILT unit to a course:
1. Access your platform as an instructor;
2. On the home page, click on the course you want to add training to;
3. Click the Add button (1);
4. From the drop-down list, click Instructor-Led Training (2);
Next, you will see the monthly calendar with the current month. Before continuing, please take a moment to check your options:
- Use the arrows (3) to change the months on the calendar.
- In the month/week buttons (4), click week to see the current week. Again, use the arrow keys to navigate between weeks.
- In the calendar/list icons (5), click the list symbol to switch from calendar to list view.
- Click on the calendar symbol to return to the calendar view.
- In the month/week buttons (4), click month to see the current month.
5. In the Title or Subject field (6), type a name for your ILT unit;
To create an ILT session:
1. In the monthly calendar, click the date you want to schedule to open the Add Session dialog. If you're in list view, just click Add Session;
2. In the Name field (1), type a name for your session;
3. Beside the Name field, there is a color field (2), in it you can change the color of your session that will appear in the calendar;
4. The Date (3) field is already set to the date you clicked on the calendar. If you need to change it, just enter the new date;
5. In the Start Time field (4), type the time you want your session to start;
6. In the Capacity field (5), add the number of seats available in your session. If your session has unlimited seats, leave the field blank;
7. In the Instructor field (6), select the name of the person who will conduct the ILT session;
8. Choose your ILT type (7):
- If you choose Classroom, enter a location in the respective field.
- If you choose Webinar, check the Create a new webinar beside to use the integration as a videoconferencing medium for your session.
Note: Choosing an Online Seminar may affect start time, capacity and duration. Also, after saving the session, you will not be able to clone it and edit the Type, Capacity, or Duration values.
9. Set the duration of your session using the slider in the Duration field (8). You can set in minutes or hours (choose by clicking the minutes/hours button);
10. In the Description field (9), write about your ILT session briefly;
11. Click Add Session (10) to save the information;
12. Click Save and Preview at the bottom of the page.
Note: To delete a session, click the session you want to delete in the calendar, click Edit, then Delete. If you are in list mode view, hover your mouse cursor on the three dots below Settings and click on the “X” symbol to Delete.
On the course page, users can view all sessions available to their class and click Register to add a session to their calendar.
The join button will be available 15 minutes before and after the session start time. For the Online Seminar, they can join the virtual classroom when it starts.
Register users to an ILT session:
1. After creating your session, click on the registered users button (1) on the session page;
2. You will be taken to the All Users tab (2) where you will see all users enrolled in this course. Use the Session (3) column drop-down list to manually register users for your session.
Manage registered users:
1. While still on the Users page, on the Session Users (4) tab, select your session (5) from the drop-down list. Here you will see all registered users, their status and their grade (optional). At the moment, all statuses will be as “Pending”;
2. Choose a user and click Pending (6) to open the Set Status and Note dialog box;
3. Change the status (7) of the user to Approved or Failed;
4. Assign a grade (8) to this user (optional);
5. And write your feedback in the Comments field (9);
6. Click Save (10) to finish.
Ready! Now you can “go live” and add some ILT events related to your courses.